Thursday, June 23, 2005

Thursday, June 23, 2005.

The good news: I received three case reviews back this week, one of which is an acceptance with only minor final-copy editing. The bad news: I have a lot of work to do in very short amount of time. So I spent most of the day in front of my computer, editing one of the two case studies that have been returned with reviewer suggestions, each from a different journal. At first I thought the tasks daunting, but once I began, the changes became less onerous and both cases will end up greatly improved. Amazingly, the stars aligned and Monika approved a longer (and more personal) version of the case study about her and her company. Perhaps equally amazing is that the editor liked all the changes and the case is now accepted for publication. It is unlikely that the revision of the second case study will be so easy.
Rick and I spent a lovely evening at Da Emanuel, an Italian restaurant on Charles de Gaulle Street, with Henry and Saša. Saša is Czech, but left in 1968 and moved to Canada, which is where she met Henry. Saša has a background in mathematics and technology, and worked for Nortel in Canada before she was asked to come to Prague to help set up their mobile-phone operations here. So, for the last five years, Henry and Saša have spent nearly half the year in Prague. Henry still teaches at McGill University, but he is mostly involved in their executive education programs, rather than semester-long traditional teaching. I first met Henry in 1985 when I was a doctoral student! I was happy to have this opportunity to chat with him – and to meet Saša – since I have admired Henry’s work for a long time. Prior to this, our meetings have been casual, mostly at conferences. It was only through Paul that Henry and I found out about one another’s presence in Prague, and that we were able to connect on such a personal level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home