Friday, April 08, 2005

Friday, April 8, 2005.

I went back to the Anglo American College this morning to meet with the VP for Administration, who has been on AAC’s board for some time. It was interesting to talk to someone who has a long history with the college. I also met several other people, among them, the head of the journalism and communications program, the coordinator of the school of business administration, and the Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator. I was given a short tour of the offices and classrooms, and the library and computer lab. I have an appointment to meet with several of the board members in early May.
This afternoon, Eva and I went to the Chagall exhibit at the Miro Gallery near the Strahov monastery. Marc Chagall is considered one of the most important painters of the 20th century, known as a “master of color and of a biblical message,” a Russian Jew who was called “a mystic and a prophet, speaking through pictures.” Eva and I have wanted to see this exhibit for awhile, so it was nice to be able to steal an afternoon for this purpose. The view of Prague Castle and Petřin Hill from the grounds of the Strahov monastery, which still (after 1989, of course) is a functioning monastery, is breathtaking. The monastery was founded in 1140 by the Premonstratensians, an austere religious order, but it was rebuilt in gothic style after it was destroyed by fire in 1258. Strahov has a functioning church, famous library and museum, theological and philosophical halls—with ceiling frescoes and many baroque bookcases and books from a dissolved monastery in Moravia—and a picture gallery.
I got home just in time to talk with Hana at the Fulbright office to commit to speaking at the Woodrow Wilson Center on the 17th of May. I suggested that she contact a few others for a panel, and I will find out what she has been able to arrange when I return from Israel at the end of the month. I am flattered to have been asked to speak, but a bit apprehensive about what is expected. I hope my suggestion of a “women’s issues” panel will be broad enough to be engaging for the intended audience.
Tonight is Shabbat, so Rick and I went to services at the Spanish Synagogue. This evening, David Harris, the executive director of AJC (American Jewish Committee), led the service with Peter Gyori. The synagogue was packed, with study-abroad students, Israel-tour vacationers, AJC students and assorted independent tourists, and, of course, us Bejt-Praha “regulars.” So, although the chanting and singing was uplifting, the setting was less than intimate, and at times I felt like I was at someone else’s party. Fortunately, many of the prayers and songs can (and should) be done with closed eyes, so I could retreat into my own thoughts most of the time. Rick and I said a special Kaddish for my aunt Ethel who died earlier in the week.
Howard spoke about this week’s Torah and Haftorah portions, interesting and thought-provoking commentary about laws of purification after childbirth; laws of tzara’at, a form of leprosy and a physical manifestation of spiritual malaise, allegedly caused by slander; the sanctity of the Torah scroll – and when it can be sold; and the definition of an honorable person – as one who gives honor, rather than receives it. I particularly liked the point of view, written by a rabbi to his son, that claimed, “I have never referred to anyone as my student, because how do I know that I did not learn more from him than he did from me?” Perhaps that is why I teach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home