Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Wednesday, February 2, 2005.

Thanks to Eddie, my wonderful IT guru at DU, I am back on e-mail. How frustrating it is to be out of contact, especially being so far away from the US. But I also rely on e-mail here to send files and notes, so I am quite dependent on technology. Perhaps it is telling that the enormous convenience of IT is something I take for granted, while its temporary absence drives me crazy.
Today was a good day not only because my computer is fixed, but also because I was able to spend time with people I like. I met Eunice briefly for tea this afternoon—it’s always nice to catch up with her and chat, even if just for an hour.
I had planned to meet with Monika earlier in the week, but our schedules haven’t allowed time together until this evening. Her days are busy at work, so she invited me to her flat for dinner. What a treat! She made duck for the first time, and I was her willing guinea pig. With the duck came potato dumplings and a spinach sauce, and we had pastry with fresh strawberries and cream for dessert. Her son Mikie is six, a sweet boy. His father is American, so he speaks good English! Monika is a lawyer, so this evening was a combination of pleasure and education for me, since the legal system here is so different from the US. The biggest difference is that lawyers here are advocates, much like the British system where cases are argued before a judge, not a jury. But there are also differences in expectations and legal requirements for attorneys. Meeting women like Monika is the part of my job that I love most, since I get a chance to meet interesting people and learn new things.
While I was meeting with Eunice, Rick was meeting with Ales, and while I was with Monika, Rick was attending his Czech class. The class this evening had only three people, Young Richard, Big Ed, and Old Rick. I’m impressed that (old) Rick is so conscientious in learning Czech. I’m the laggard this year, but we are both improving slowly. I’m grateful that he forces me to study, even though it’s less than either of us would like. Irena is a good teacher and a lovely person, and I hope to go to the class next Wednesday if we get back from our trip to Slovakia in time.
Another new person in our life is Coleman Raeboi, the cantor from Florida. This is his last evening in Prague (he’s been here for two weeks), so we met for drinks near Republic Square after Rick’s Czech class and my dinner with Monika. Coleman is an interesting and warm man and we had some interesting conversations about the Jewish community here, and also about family traditions and such. He may come back to Prague this spring, this time with his wife and infant son. Rick and I look forward to seeing Coleman again and to meeting his family. And Coleman is looking forward to visiting Prague when it’s not quite so cold and snowy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home