Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I would not be so bold as to claim that we have mastered the art of grocery shopping here in Prague, but we are getting better. Yesterday’s meager haul from the local butcher shop and produce store is evidence to contradict our expectation that the small specialty shops would have the best selection. The produce stands near the metro stations seem to have much better quality and prices, and would be most convenient for us were they open in the evening when we are returning home. Nonetheless, we have learned to bag groceries, return shopping carts (for which we have to pay a deposit), and have mastered the return-bottle machine at our local supermarket. We are learning the difference between various cheeses and dairy products, and Rick is becoming an expert in reading Czech beer labels. That having been said, our trip to the supermarket this morning was most fortunate in that not only was chicken (a staple in our kitchen) on sale, but also 8.8oz bars of chocolate for only slightly more than a dollar each. Mind you, they are not nearly as good as the 8 oz bars of Hershey’s (with almonds) that I get at the Walgreens in Denver for $.99, but they go a long way toward satisfying my chocolate cravings.
My afternoon adventure was not quite as successful as the morning shopping expedition. I went to the southern campus of VŠE, which, with good connections and proper directions, took only an hour. The Czech class was not a conversation class, nor was it really for beginners. It was a grammar class for foreign students whose command of the Czech language is already quite good. I could understand most of what the teacher said, and I certainly could understand the lesson – an hour and a half on constructing proper plurals for various declensions (Czech has seven cases) — but for me it was probably as useful as watching Czech television. So, now I am not sure what – if anything – to do about attending a language class. Perhaps this is a sign that I should be doing research instead of studying Czech, or that I should be more disciplined in reviewing what I learned before, and practicing with Rick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home