Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

A bit more sunny than yesterday, but only for a short while. It’s chilly here—and biting at times. Buildings are warm inside, so it’s difficult to dress right. It’s different than in a car culture where you can dress lightly and bring as much or as little as you want with you. Here, you need to dress for the weather or you end up freezing. And you end up sweating inside unless you can gracefully hang up a coat and/or take off a sweater. So, that being said, I’ve taken to carrying a bag – large purse or briefcase – most places I go. And still I forget things that would have been kept in my car for convenience.
Handling cash is also an adjustment. I have no car tray for coins and pockets tend to bulge. I can pay for items in stores via credit card, but not fruit stands or small markets. It’s also easier not carrying a wallet and credit card, so I usually carry cash now, but even paper notes (especially small denomination notes) take up pocket- or purse-space. Little annoyances, really.
Rick and I went first to check out the car rental place near Dejvicka to confirm a car for this weekend. Then we walked to the Vietnamese market to look for slippers. He didn’t find any that he wanted. Most were only $2-$4, but they’re all of poor quality and not the most comfortable. He just needs something to lounge around in at home so he doesn’t wear out his socks. I saw a nice, warm winter dress coat. But it was nearly $100 (worth the price for the apparent quality) and I’ll only wear it here. Too warm for Denver, even in winter.
As we strolled from Dejvicka to Hradčanská we passed several bakeries. Hard to resist – especially when they’re fresh from the oven. But Rick sticks to his diet. Not me. Yum. Rick ate his treats after dinner.
I went to VŠE to meet Eva and Mr. Novy. He is so nice. Martin, Eva’s office-mate, wants to write an entrepreneurship textbook with cases. Mr. Novy wants me to help write cases. Eva and I want to write case about women business owners. So, the plan looks easy enough. Now I need to follow through. Time to start making contacts. And practicing Czech. I rely too much on English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home