Friday, April 29, 2005

Friday, April 29, 2005.

This weekend marks the one-year anniversary of the ascension of the Czech Republic--and 9 other countries--into the now-enlarged EU. The president of the University of Northern Virginia, which has set up a satellite campus here, had invited me to attend the conference they have organized this weekend, entitled “Redefining Europe: Federalism and the Union of European Democracies One year after the Ten Member Expansion.” I went over to UNVA’s facility at the YMCA to attend the kick-off of their weekend conference, only to find out that the kick-off had been postponed until this afternoon. When I got home, Molly was still asleep.
Shortly after noon, I went with Dave and Molly to the Pinkas Synagogue to introduce them to Sarah, one of our favorite Fulbrighters, who had graciously offered to give them her “royal tour” of the Jewish Synagogues. I left them in her hands and went back to UNVA to hear the first two sessions. I was particularly interested in Steven’s presentation about the EU constitution, partly because I know and love Steven, but also because I know he’s a good presenter and very knowledgeable about the constitution. After Steven’s presentation, I rendezvoused with Dave and Molly and Sarah at the Spanish Synagogue. I took Dave and Molly to see the statues of Rabbi Lowe and the Golem at the New Old Town Hall, to the splendid art nuveau Municipal House, and then to Tesco to see the deli section of the grocery store!
Dave and Molly quickly headed home to change before our dinner date with Howard and Marketa. It turned out that Marketa was unable to join us, so we were a five-some again. We went to a fairly “Czech” restaurant near the Spanish synagogue, but none of us had dumplings! It was a nice “last evening” with them. They leave tomorrow morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home